Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ljubljana, Slovenija: a little nostalgic

Thoughts were rolling faster than the wheels. Landscape unfolding in front of my eyes, covered with that special beginning-of-September light, triggered my memories. Signs of the past everywhere, so the verses of my childhood started chanting: "Pera iz solitera..." / Pera from the skyscaper, it was a little poem we used to like. And then we stopped and took a deep breath. In Ljubljana.I am not Slovenian by nationality, I belong a little bit more to the north-east (Serbia), but somehow, meeting this country, was meeting a part of me and my heritage.
Us, the ones born in this part of the world, we are blessed with a sort of nostalgia, that we carry with us everywhere we go. The coldness of the Alps cools it down a little, but only apparently, because from what I learned until now, Austrians themselves are a little nostalgic too...
Happy Thursday!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:32 am

    I've been thinking a bit about national identity recently - when I was in Romania and Moldova my identity felt very positive, whereas in Scotland I feel my main identity marker isn't that I'm English but that I'm not Scottish. And when I'm in England somehow I don't know who/what I am!

    How far back in your heritage is the Slovenian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been anywhere near where my roots come from (Ireland), but that beautiful picture makes me nostalgic just for a different, slower way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, I love the reflection.

    Cheers

    http://reginainpictures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photo, Lara and your words that follow the photo are beautiful and touching again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments are most appreciated!